Thursday 19 March 2009

The Merits of Research

I do remember sitting in a classroom which was always the temperature of the tropics a few years ago. I was sat next to LB, we were both randomly doodling with the giant pens that I thought would be funny. In my head I'm thinking the over-zealous heating is a ploy to see us prancing around in swimwear ala Club Tropicana by Wham. The song takes hold within my head playing in a circuit.

In the background AS, our then long-suffering teacher, is talking about something important, if I can only just focus on it. But that pesky George Michael is relentless. I lean to my other side and DH is scribbling furiously her notes. I make out one word RESEARCH. Crisis averted, no need to listen, research isn't really vital to my career as a writer.

BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!!

A few years have passed since I left my degree in Creative Writing. I left with a BA and stunted creativity. I thought this was down to overthinking my writing. I ditched all planning and research and just started writing from my heart. I ignored my brain telling me to correct spelling or grammar and ignored the critical voice asking where it was going.

I found it freeing creatively and actually began writing something I was happy with. It wasn't perfect but I liked it, which was an improvement. When I started looking at the work I was doing it was all inter-related. Unknowingly I'd started writing a trilogy.

As the work progressed I put down a plan. A PLAN! Totally unlike me. Two weeks ago I was suddenly struck by the fact that in order to make my work better I need to research quite a bit of information.

The big revelation is that I enjoy doing research. I'm surrounded by books and my own typed notes. Everything is covered in highlights and post its. It's all very surreal but I love it.

All those years ago sat in that classroom I never thought I would be in the position I'm in now.

This is serious now, not just a hobby, my life is this story now and I'm compelled to finish it. Scary

2 comments:

Moggie711 said...

DH just wants to say (in a smug old person sort of way) 'I told you so.' All that time I (DH) sat there earnestly scribbling away trying to take in as much information as possible and constantly nagging about research etc etc etc. But never mind you are the one writing and researching and getting stuff sorted so my research has got me nowhere.

Just Curious... said...

your research will come in handy once you start to write! I know you have it in you.

You might try researching something that interests you and it might get your creative juices going. Look at me giving advice like I know anything!!