Friday 15 May 2009

reading

Recently I've been rereading a book I read a few years ago. Most of it I had forgotten and it has been good to rediscover a story I enjoyed in the past. I'm nearing the end now and have been reluctant to pick it up and read.

I know some of the events that happen at the end of the book and find myself unable to read them. I know one of the main characters die and that some bad things happen towards the end. Obviously things all work out apart from the one death I've mentioned but I can't seem to make myself read it.

I feel like I don't want to read it, which is ridiculous as I know I like the story. I wonder what is it that makes us shy away from sadness sometimes even when we know it is make believe. A good story can make us experience a whole range of emotions and sometimes we seek these things out, but what makes it resonate so deeply.

It's strange how the lives of people who never existed can touch us more than those who populate our own little worlds.

I think I might leave the book for a day or two and try again.

3 comments:

Moggie711 said...

Oh come on you have to give us a clue to what the book is. I am sooooo intrigued. Not HP surely - not the death of the D.Good posting as it opens up lots of questions.

Erin Cree said...

It's a bit like, if you don't read it it doesn't happen.

Like Moggie said I'm curious to know what book is I'm looking for a good book to read.

Thanks Curious for taking the time to read my blog.
Alison

Just Curious... said...

As always thanks for your comments.

I managed to read the end of the book. I gave myself a good talking to and decided to man up! I think you're right though denial is a wonderful thing.