Thursday 4 June 2009

The Cheek of some people!!

So today I had a visit from my sister-in-law (JC). This was odd on 2 counts. Firstly, she normally lets me know before she pops round and secondly she was supposed to be at work.

She seemed really pissed off so I made her a drink and waited for her to vent. I was expecting something was wrong at work as she has only been there 3 weeks and already she hates it there. It seems like the people she works for are a little crazy and very rude. I had been hearing odd stories about them for the last few weeks.

She sighed and begun the latest story. I have to say I was shocked that employers think they can get away with what has happened. Perhaps I'm naive but I thought there were laws protecting people from this sort of thing:

JC had applied for the job through the Jobcentre website. They had advertised for someone on a low salary with a high commission estimate. This was confirmed in the interview and they offered her the job. When JC received the contract it stated it was commission only. When she queried this she was told it was an error and they would sort it out and come back to her with new a contract.

It took them 3 weeks of gentle reminders for them to do anything, the whole time JC is working full time. This morning they asked for a meeting with her and told her the job was commission only and not meant to be her only job. When she challenged them that the advert had stated a salary and an OTE they told her she could either accept it or leave!

The cheek of some people to think others are gonna roll over and take whatever they dish out! Needless to say she going to tell them where to go and look into where she stands legally.

tsk tsk tsk

1 comment:

Moggie711 said...

This stuff always happens in a recession. Employers can get away with stuff because so many people are desperate for work. It is appalling but I guess reality. I do think that she should report them to the Jobcentre as she found the job advertised by them. I don't think they will do anything about it but worth a try. The only real way to do anything about it is to go to the press - they like this type of story the 'Employer taking advantage of unemployed etc' type story but that takes a whole different type of courage.