Monday 22 June 2009

Full Throttle

So today I posted my volunteer requests to the schools in the area.  I sent out my carefully crafted invites in their eye-catching envelopes addressed to each Headteacher personally.  I stood and deposited them in the post box and realized I was holding my breath.

That's it.  They are gone.  The risk has been taken, the choice made.  I didn't realize until I was stood there how important that step really was.  I could have backed out before now, even after all the effort I put into creating the little cards, I could have thrown them away.  For a split second that seemed like a tempting idea.

Now they are gone I guess the worry is less about what if they don't reply and more what if they do?  I've made a decision and I'm not sure whether I can follow through.  What if I get there and I suck?  I could fail at this, I've never taught children before, they might hate me.  These are the things I worried about the moments before the letters slid soundless into the box.  Unlike usual though I have gone ahead regardless.  I am going full throttle on this, to hell with the consequences.     

That way, hopefully, I'll surprise myself.

2 comments:

glnroz said...

You will do Wonderfully Well...

Luna Lenny said...

And you know, what does it matter?
You don't know if you don't try...

Remember, kids are bastards, that's why they are good fun to work with.
You'll probably always get an honest response, and when they're not, they're so painfully transparent that it's hard NOT to laugh..