Saturday 6 June 2009

Dormant Haloes

Someone said to me one day while the sun
was shining and the days were long
that I would never amount to much
I smiled and I thought you're right.

That person had always been disappointed
in my lack of drive, my way of making everything a joke.
I would laugh at those who gave a damn
or those who pushed to make the grade.

That person didn't know what happened
to dreams, or where high hopes led.
They did not understand the importance
of invisibility, in blending with the crowd.

Getting by was more important than getting ahead
Dreams crept in and were swept away
hidden beneath bravado and joviality
lay the dormant haloes of a fallen angel.

What point was there to falling where others fear to tread,
reaching for something other than the safety of your head.

No comments: