Wednesday 24 June 2009

Chasing Clouds

This is a new poem I have just written.  It is still in the early stages but I really could do with some feedback on it.  Feel free to be brutal!

Chasing Clouds   

The bright grass sways
around my prone state 
as I spot shapes in the clouds.  
The sun beats down, 
I am on the warm side of comfortable, 
an insubstantial mass of conscious 
amongst the sentient brave.   

The compacted ground beneath 
my lying form sends my back 
into spasm that does not ease 
until I raise my legs. 
Feet flat on the ground 
knees peeking out from the grass 
caps tickled by the gentle sway.   

I wait here as the clouds advance over me 
fluffy white delicacies will turn 
into angry bruises roiling across 
the sky like a petulant child threatening to cry 
the droplets falling to caress my skin 
clinging to the sanctuary. 
Waking my deadened limbs.    

Laying in this glade will not save me 
the impending darkness lovingly calls 
Staying does not deliver an inquiring mind, 
it is just enough to mimic living 
the grass not real, just as the fluffy 
white bunnies in sky will not remain 
when I open my eyes to the world.        

4 comments:

Luna Lenny said...

I like this! Yeah, still a bit raw, but in a good way. Vivid imagery, really rings true.

glnroz said...

Everyone needs a bread every now and then. At least that is what I got from your poem. Poetry, to me, is to transfere or create a thought. This did that for me. Thanks,, remember " A vicious block....." lol

Moggie711 said...

Like this very much. It takes you places.
I think some lines need some editing and not sure about fluffy bunnies, I know what you are saying but I am sure we would have been told this is a bit overused. I guess I think it is ok if you use it delibrately and are aware of this. This has the potential to be a exceptional poem and up for CP?

Just Curious... said...

Thanks for your feedback. Definitely worth working with. There are some things that aren't working as well as I'd like. Time for the edit I guess.